The MT-07 Forum

Dobeck Performance looks to be the winner

titleist32

After countless searching I really think Dobeck performance is going to be my best bang for the buck when it comes to exhaust and fuel management. The price looks awesome and the ease of use and install really has me hooked. Now I'm just trying to decide which exhaust to get. I like the M4 but don't want to repack it every 5k, IXIL looks to be the option so far (it helps that baffle removal looks easy as well as being able to put it back in if needed). I've got a whole lot of parts coming shortly and will post pics when completed. link

• Premium Member

I upgraded to the Hordpower airbox and the required PC-V from the Dobeck EJK. Once properly tuned I was quite pleased with the EJK and felt it was money well spent, also their customer service was fantastic.

If you're disconnecting the O2 sensor (not sure if Dobeck still recommends this) its been mentioned its best to remove it completely from the muffler to avoid its fouling from carbon etc.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

chademinent
I upgraded to the Hordpower airbox and the required PC-V from the Dobeck EJK. Once properly tuned I was quite pleased with the EJK and felt it was money well spent, also their customer service was fantastic.  
If you're disconnecting the O2 sensor (not sure if Dobeck still recommends this) its been mentioned its best to remove it completely from the muffler to avoid its fouling from carbon etc.
What are your settings on the Dobeck?  I have the same thing and I need to get mine fine tuned

• Premium Member

Sorry I dont follow you, are you saying you have the Hordpower airbox as well? I upgraded to the PC-V because JD (hordpower) recommends it and he's designed and tested specific maps/software for it. Last I heard the EJK lacks the specific software necessary to take proper and full advantage of his airbox which could 'possibly' lead to engine damage.  If you are running JD's airbox you should definitely consult with him on this. IMO the PC-V is the proper and safest route here.

I pulled my EJK when I installed the new airbox and cant remember what numbers I had for my specific config. If you're running stock or with a specific exhaust system, no snorkel etc etc Id recommend checking the various specific calibrations listed on the Dobeck website.
There's a link to member's EJK settings here.... http://fz07.org/thread/3180/ejk-settings-forum-member

Hope that helps?   (:))

***EDIT*** Whoops.... @chademinent, I just saw your post again stating you bought the Hord airbox. I highly recommend you speak with JD before running his filter with the EJK.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 3 weeks later...
superfishal

The ejk caused my check engine light to come on for an instant under light throttle. I called their customer service and talked to them but they never got back to me with a solution. I ended up switching to a power commander pcV and got it dyno tuned. It runs great now with no issues. About a 3 hp increase from the ejk tuner with their recommended settings. The pcV isn't a tune on the fly device but it allows for tuning the ignition as well as fueling and programmed with multiple maps that can be switched (switch sold separately). After talking to the local race shop, Im now of the opinion that a professional tune is the way to go for performance and longevity.

Another option, similar to what @superfishal posted, is the 2 Wheel Dynoworks ECU flash. I have that and the EJK. I much prefer the flash over the EJK, and I don't actually use the EJK to change settings any longer. It runs perfectly without. The price difference is minimal ($50?) when you factor in the difference in quality as far as change in throttle feel and bike operation/performance.

It is not as good as a dyno and pcv for your specific bike would be, but it is much cheaper. Unless you're really serious about performance gains specifically, in my opinion, you don't need the extra level of tune.

Another option, similar to what @superfishal posted, is the 2 Wheel Dynoworks ECU flash. I have that and the EJK. I much prefer the flash over the EJK, and I don't actually use the EJK to change settings any longer. It runs perfectly without. The price difference is minimal ($50?) when you factor in the difference in quality as far as change in throttle feel and bike operation/performance.  
It is not as good as a dyno and pcv for your specific bike would be, but it is much cheaper. Unless you're really serious about performance gains specifically, in my opinion, you don't need the extra level of tune.

Dyno and Power commander will not match the ECU flash. There are parameters that the Power Commander just does not adjust. Seriously.

superfishal
Dyno and Power commander will not match the ECU flash. There are parameters that the Power Commander just does not adjust. 

That's true. Personally,  I wouldn't send an ecu out to be flashed.  I could have paid an extra $400 for the ecu programming from the dyno shop and I would have gotten the best tune possible, but I am not rich and not racing so it didn't matter that much to me. I just wanted it to run good for a long time. There are environmental variables that need to be accounted for when tuning such as altitude and temperature. Thats why i didnt trust dobecks recommended settings. They are in Montana and I'm in California. Very different altitudes and temperatures. The dyno shop I took my bike to hadnt done a dyno run for over a month because it had been cold and raining and they only tune on the warm but not too hot days. If you want a race level tune, take your bike to a local dyno shop that will program your ecu right for the environment closest to your average riding conditions. Itll cost you but so will a poor tuning down the road. I'm not saying 2 wheel dyno works isn't great because I've heard from many satisfied riders on here but there is an even better option out there if that's what you are looking for.

Dyno and Power commander will not match the ECU flash. There are parameters that the Power Commander just does not adjust. Seriously.

Oh I was under the impression pcv adjusted just as many variables and not just fueling. Thanks!

Archived