The MT-07 Forum

Extras upon Purchase (Belly pan??)

biker2014

Hi!

My dad has ordered the bike in the UK with a belly pan being one of the accessories available for the bike here.  M i missing something as I can't see it available on the US Yamaha dealer site as an available extra?

Upon purchase at the dealership I was going to get them to add on:

Belly pan
Frame Sliders (although I see on here people have some cheaper OES(?) ones? 
Tail Tidy
Led Indicators front and back
Windscreen/Cowl

What did you guys get as extras from the get go? I see a lot of people do things themselves, form other sources and fitting them independently. I just have no idea what I'm doing so thought it would be easier to get the dealer to sort it.

Cheers

• Global Moderator

You mean this belly pan? (1WS-283R0-30-00)  It's available in Canada so I suppose it will be coming to the US soon too.

For a tail tidy, you could consider this one. If I were you I would choose the set with the LED signals. You can't beat that deal.

If you prefer the original Yamaha frame sliders, here's one for a good price.

There's a windscreen for sale here

There are lot's of 'How To's' on the forum. Do it yourself. Most things are pretty easy with the instructions and take your time. It is very satisfying and you save a ton of cash. And if you are not sure about something, just ask. Members here will gladly help you out
No need to involve dealers.

See, I saved you money already :)

You mean this belly pan? (1WS-283R0-30-00)  It's available in Canada so I suppose it will be coming to the US soon too. 
For a tail tidy, you could consider this one. If I were you I would choose the set with the LED signals. You can't beat that deal.

If you prefer the original Yamaha frame sliders, here's one for a good price.

There's a windscreen for sale here

There are lot's of 'How To's' on the forum. Do it yourself. Most things are pretty easy with the instructions and take your time. It is very satisfying and you save a ton of cash. And if you are not sure about something, just ask. Members here will gladly help you out
No need to involve dealers.

See, I saved you money already :)

*Thanks again guru! I feel like I'm being a total pest so thanks for taking the time! I have ZERO tools, is there a basic tool kit to get that does the job for these DIY job or do you need different things? I feel anxious already about start taking something apart then being caught short without a piece of kit i need!  (:))

• Global Moderator

Tinkering with your bike is part of the hobby. It's fun and not difficult. You would probably be able to do most of it with the minimal tools that come with the bike, but I wold invest in a decent tool set to get you started. Every guy needs a tools set !! And don't buy the cheapest Chinese junk you can find because good tools is half the work. Remember, your bike is metric so you will need metric sockets and such. These tools are basically for free because you will be doing the work and not the dealer. Start with something simple and go from there. Take your time doing it and think about it first. Order the parts you take of so you won't get confused when you put it back together again.
Invite a more tech savvy friend over for a a beer and some tools time. He can show you the basics and it will be a awesome evening, I guarantee it.

• Premium Member

A basic set of hand tools is all you should need to do everything on your list. Should take an afternoon and a couple of brews since you need to stay hydrated.

Working out in my mind where and how I'm gonna mount the 125db denali soundbomb I just got (air horn). That's a tricky bugger but I think It'll be good in the stock horn position after making a custom bracket for it.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

The how to's should give you a good idea of what tools are required. I would recommend a decent torque wrench, especially if you are doing frame sliders that fit in the engine mount (OES or similar) and for chain adjustment. It is also nice to have one to check that bolts have remained torqued as part of routine maintenance.

It is a pretty easy bike to work on. If I can do it anybody can :). Have fun and as Guru says it is better to buy tools that you will have forever than pay dealer prices to have stuff installed.

Also please feel free to ask any questions. I have learned a lot from reading answers to other people's questions.

@mjh937 @hobbs @guru

Thanks all! So much appreciated. Seems like a great bunch of people on this forum. Ive never really posted much on others forums I've used (non biking) and you usually see the egos, cliques and people putting others down etc.

Thanks for being so welcoming. I've already started to learn bits and bobs which I think will be accelerated once I actually get the bike and get cracking on it!

:)

I would buy the parts and do the work yourself. A decent tool kit from lowes is around $200, Kobalt brand with lifetime warranty. Craftsman has changed their warranty and kind of a hassle, lowes is the old way sears use to be. A shop manual is also a good idea to have around. The stuff you mentioned is not hard at all and most novices should be able to do.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining! So, when you get the bike and add up the possible upgrades you will see just how much you can spend in such little time!

A few pieces of advice.

1.Best thing to upgrade is riding safety gear. quality helmet, padded protective jacket, pants, gloves and even good riding boots. Winter gear, summer gear. I would start there, it may save your life.

2. Bling is cool and all and really helps make a bike look sharp, but it is also wise to upgrade the parts that you use alot. Like suspension, Stainless steel braided brake lines, stuff like that. Bu that's just my opinion. If you weigh under 180 lbs, the stock suspension is actually fine.

Again, thanks for joining and please come back often!

• Premium Member

My apologies for the late welcome, but it looks like our members have done a great job and given you awesome advice. The people are great here and this is a phenomenal resource for our members, so welcome aboard!

Oh, and one thing I don't believe anyone has touched on yet with the upgrades/mods, etc...

One of the most important things you can do is not to the bike itself, but to you. Upgrade the driver is what I always say :)

If you have the chance to take a safety course or some form of instruction, you will benefit immensely.

And as for the belly pan, it is available in the US. I got it the day it became available :)

- Paulie

Archived