The MT-07 Forum

Taking bike out of storage

Yury Lo

I have my bike in storage and expect it to be there for another 2 months or so before I take it out.

what kind of maintenance will the bike need in order to not mess anything up after not using it for a few months?

@Yury Lo How did you store it?  What did you do to prep the bike for storage.  Your answer will determine the rest of the answers to your question

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

20 hours ago, r1limited said:

@Yury Lo How did you store it?  What did you do to prep the bike for storage.  Your answer will determine the rest of the answers to your question

Honestly, all I did was fill up the tank and park it in the warm garage. 

I am about to order fuel stabilizer now , which one is good? 

Better late then never . 

I changed oil maybe 2 weeks before putting it away, I think that should be just fine.

Not to burst your bubble, but you should not layup a bike with oil that has been used in a running engine. The act of the combustion of fuel inside an engine causes some nasty acidic chemicals to be created which get absorbed by the oil and then if left sit in all your bearings for a long time will attack the metal surfaces. It is always recommended to change the oil and NOT start the engine, just spin it over on the electric start to get oil everywhere and then leave it parked up with both wheels of the ground, lubricate the chain (to prevent rust and the O'rings from drying out), do NOT put a cover on the bike as this traps humidity and causes rust. Lower the tire pressures, Either disconnect the battery, or connect a battery tender. Then completely drain the carburetor and fuel tank (gas contains ethanol which will absorb water and cause rust and poor running), if you cant drain the gas tank then completely fill it so there is less air in the tank for the ethanol to draw water from and add some kind of fuel stabilizer but remember if it has carbs they will NOT like being left for a long time with gasoline in them, fuel evaporates and leaves a sticky residue that blocks jets and causes poor running). Then leave the bike alone until you are ready to use it again. Starting the engine regularly is generally considered a bad idea as it promotes condensation, contaminates the engine oil and rarely lets the engine get up to its correct operating temperature. When you are ready to ride again, just inflate the tires to the correct pressure, refill the tank, crank the engine for a short while on the starter (don't let the engine start) just to get oil all around the inside of the engine, then start her up, let her idle for a while to make sure everything is okay and then go ride.

Gary

20 minutes ago, Yury Lo said:

Honestly, all I did was fill up the tank and park it in the warm garage. 

I am about to order fuel stabilizer now , which one is good? 

Better late then never . 

I changed oil maybe 2 weeks before putting it away, I think that should be just fine.

How long has it sat? 

I have had great luck with Seafoam when engines have sat for sometime with no stablizers.  I have littering seen an engine going from sputtering back fireing and smokin to running like a swiss clock with Seafoam cleanin up the gunk in the carbs.  Just read the directions and follow https://seafoamsales.com/a-quick-visual-lesson-on-gasoline/

I use Star brite a lot, I have used half a bottle in a full tank, works well http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive?category_id=685

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived